House flipping is on the rise despite high home prices, CoreLogic reports.
As anyone who regularly watches Flip or Flop already knows, house flipping is on the rise, and a new report from property data developer CoreLogic confirms this.
An analysis of public records found that the ratio of flipped properties to sales reached 6.2 percent in the first quarter of 2018, the highest it’s been since the first quarter of 2013 when home prices first started rebounding after the financial collapse. Directly after the crash in 2005, the ratio of flipped properties to sales climbed over 8 percent.
Flipping — defined in the report as the act of acquiring a home then selling it within 12 months — is a different business now than it was right after the crash, CoreLogic found.
“The first time it reached this level after the housing crash, home prices had just started to recover, and there were still a considerable number of distressed properties on the market,” the report states. “However, the flipping dynamics have changed over time. The share of distressed properties sold has declined significantly, from 30 percent in January 2013 to 4.4 percent at the end of 2017.”
Home prices in some areas of the country have already passed the peak high values they reached before the crash, and valuations are showing no sign of slowing down.
“High acquisition cost, tight inventory and rising flipping activities together point to possible speculation: investors are betting on continuous home price growth,” the report said.
By Patrick Kearns
Here are our Top 5 reasons to get your home ready to list NOW:
(1) Beat the Spring RushWhen you get your home ready to list now, you will save yourself some major stress points come spring. We can schedule time for our staging consultant to walk through the house to give you a punchlist. You can line up contractors (we have a recommended list) to start work in early January when they might be less busy and the craziness of the spring market hits. Trust us on this one – we’ve had clients feel the pinch when they start making calls to contractors and vendors come March and everyone is already booked!
(2) Make Major Exterior Repairs Now by starting to get your home listing ready now, you’ll be able to tackle any needed exterior work before season hits. Whether it’s roof work, landscaping or exterior painting, you’ll be glad to have these tasks completed before the snow and ice come.
(3) Your home will be featured on RE/MAX Distinction website. RE/MAX is the number one Internet search site in the world in over 100 countries. Naples isn't just about locals. We live in an international market with buyers from all over the world who search daily for their winter dream home.
(4) While you may not get the volume of traffic if you listed in the summer months vs. the fall and winter, you will get more serious buyers through your home, without racking up days on market. Get your home ready to list now to be ready for these eager buyers.
(5) Go Live When the Market is the Hottest, The real estate market shifts year to year. While we generally know when the peak selling times are, the market has certainly surprised us. By preparing in advance, we can activate your listing whenever the market starts to hit the upswing – the hard work is already done! THE BOTTOM LINE - Late fall is the perfect time of year to get the ball rolling for a spring sale. Take the needed steps to get your home ready to list now. You’ll beat the winter rush and be ready for those serious buyers looking over the fall months.
Wondering how much money you may get when you sell your home? Click here to find out. Ready to get started? Contact us today. We’re here to help you every step of the way.
Book a Sellers Appointment
Live Naples Luxury
The Team at eXp Realty are available to answer any questions you may have regarding the Naples/Marco Island market. Contact Us.
It pays to have agents who are familiar with the ins and outs of the community. We're here to help guide you.